A while back I was experimenting with no flour, no sugar, no oil “cookies”, and made this yummy recipe for Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies. Since then I’ve been playing around with that recipe and making variations of it. This week, I hit upon a winner, which blends 2 of my favourite flavours – chocolate and peanut butter.
You may have noticed that put “cookie” in quotes as none of these recipes are quite cookies. They are the shape of cookies, but are more dense than a cookie, since instead of flour, we are using whole rolled oats. One of these makes a perfect, satisfying snack, and one or two of these makes an awesome breakfast on the go.
I make them and freeze them, taking out one or two at a time. While you can simply thaw them to eat them, I find them much more pleasurable to eat when they’re warm and a little crispy, so I’ll pop them into the oven or toaster oven for about 5 minutes and they are good to go.
While I mentioned that these are a lovely blend of chocolate and peanut butter, I must warn you, that these are not Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, as they don’t have the added sugar, salt, fat, and other chemicals that are added to Reese’s Peanut Butter cups – those ingredients that make them hyper-palatable, so you can’t eat just one. This recipe blends those two flavours nicely in a way that help build your health, and make you feel good.
Yields 12 large rounds
1/4 cup pitted dates, finely chopped
1 cup organic applesauce
3/4 cup organic smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup cacao or cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 1/2 cups whole rolled oats
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Mash bananas really well.
- Mix apple sauce and peanut butter into mashed bananas
- Mix with the rest of ingredients so that all dry ingredients are well-coated with the banana mash, applesauce, and peanut butter.
- Using your hands shape cookies into thin rounds (they are roughly the size and shape of hockey pucks, but thinner)
- Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake for 20 minutes, then gently flip over and bake for another 20 minutes or until cookies feel firm and slightly crispy.
- 2 cookies is includes roughly half a cup of oatmeal, and 1 banana
I really hope you enjoy these as much as I do!